New FAAMA Foundation Chair
On June 29, 2021, Sheri Baker of Chapter 160 – Jacksonville First Coast was nominated and confirmed as the next Chair of the FAAMA Foundation. Ms. Baker’s term began July 1, 2021, and will run through June 30, 2024.
We would like to thank Rodney Sabino for his service as Chair. Mr. Sabino is now serving as the President of Chapter 315 – Wasatch Front.
2021 Scholarship Application Information and Instructions
Background and Purpose
The FAAMA Foundation Scholarship Program was established in 2018 to assist members and their families to complete their higher education and to recognize and reward academically superior performance. FAAMA Foundation scholarships are available on a competitive basis to undergraduate, graduate, and technical students.
Applicants must be a member in good standing of the FAA Managers Association, the spouse, the child, or the grandchild of a member.
Application Period and Deadlines
The application filing period is May 1, 2021, through June 30, 2021. To ensure acceptance, the completed package shall be emailed to email@example.com and time-stamped by 11:59 pm June 30, 2021.
Application Package Instructions
Please ensure that the application package is complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application package must include the following:
- Application: The application form must be completed, with no blanks. If an item does not apply indicate so with “N/A.”
- Self-Assessment Essay (should not exceed two pages): Please describe the following:
- Long- and short-range career goals and how you expect a FAAMA Foundation scholarship to contribute toward them.
- What leader has inspired you the most in your life and why?
- Professional and personal accomplishments, community involvement and leadership activities, volunteer work, membership in organizations, extracurricular activities, public speaking experiences, etc.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals not related to you. These letters should discuss your personal and academic achievements.
- If you are currently enrolled in college, or another accredited program or flight school, one of these two letters must be from a teacher or academic official.
- Official Transcript/Proof of Enrollment:
- Submit an official transcript if you are already in college, or proof of enrollment in a school you are about to enter.
- For new college students, proof of actual registration will be required prior to disbursement of funds.
- If accepted into an FAA recognized air traffic training program with planned enrollment in the future, provide a letter of acceptance from the school. Submit a document from an instructor if enrolled in a flight school, etc.
- Candidates must submit their most recent GPA from college, tech school, or high school.
Selection consideration will be based upon the completed package. The selection panel will screen and select applicants. Scholarship recipients will be announced in FAAMA’s magazine, Managing the Skies. The scholarship winner’s name and photograph will be used for publication. If selected, please submit a photograph immediately.
Responsibility of Recipients
Scholarship recipients shall provide a written report prior to the end of the year that the scholarship was awarded. This report is intended to update FAAMA membership on the recipient’s progress, stating how the scholarship was used. This report may be published in Managing the Skies magazine.
Robert Sabino, FAAMA Foundation Chair
The FAAMA Foundation Board of Directors is pleased to announce the recipient of the 2020 Andy Taylor Excellence in Leadership Scholarship – Matthew Metcalf of Oklahoma City, OK. Matthew, the son of Teresa Metcalf of FAAMA Chapter 382 – Aeronautical Center, will be receiving $2,000 to support his education at the University of Oklahoma.
Plus, 12 $1,000 scholarships are awarded to the following individuals:
- Megan Bartlett – daughter of Victor Vazques
- Stephen Hansmann – son of Glen S Hansmann
- Nathaniel Hillenburg – son of Randy J. Hillenburg
- Holly Hower – daughter of Todd Hower
- Jared Hubert – son of Jeff Hubert
- Aden Lieser – son of Andrew S. Lieser
- Noel Mara – daughter of Kurt Mara
- Andrew Metcalf – son of Teresa Metcalf
- Jazmyn Siraco – daughter of Sheri Baker
- Zachary Smith – son of Daniel Smith
- Mary Winzer – daughter of Christina Calvert
- Kayla Zolman – daughter of Ryan Zolman
The Foundation Board of Directors would like to congratulate the award winners and appreciates the hard work of everyone who applied. Thank you to the Scholarship Selection Panel for their diligent efforts. Look for more information about 2021 Scholarships in an upcoming issue of Managing the Skies magazine and at www.faamafoundation.org.
About the Foundation
The FAAMA Foundation is a nonprofit organization that is based on the beliefs of the FAA Managers Association (FAAMA) to educate leadership values to prepare the leaders of tomorrow. The FAAMA Foundation was organized to establish a fund to provide scholarships for members of FAAMA and their spouses, children, and grandchildren.
The Foundation offered the first scholarships in 2019. The recipient of the Inaugural Andy Taylor Excellence in Leadership Scholarship was Amanda Hansmann of Burnsville MN. Amanda is the daughter of Glen Hansmann of Chapter 217 – Minnesota Hub. Amanda was awarded $2,000 to support her education at the University of Minnesota.
The seven $1,000 scholarships are awarded to the following:
Nathaniel Hillenburg – Son of Randy Hillenburg of Chapter 151 – Placke
Kayla Zolman – Daughter of Ryan Zolman of Chapter 302 – Kansas City North
Hannah Burk – Daughter of Scott Burk of Chapter 301 – Pacific Northwest
Taylor Stokes – Daughter of Walter Stokes of Chapter 357 – North Texas
Allen Koch – Son of Rick Koch of Chapter 358 – Alaska
Harley Yazzie – Son of Ranelle Yazzie of Chapter 315 – Wasatch Front
Ian O’Connell – Son of Diana O’Connell of Chapter 223 – Norfolk
The schedule for 2020 is as follows:
- Application Information Published Prior to January 1, 2020
- Submissions Open February 1, 2020 – May 2, 2020
- Panel Decision by July 1, 2020
- Scholarship Awards Sent by August 1, 2020
Donate Via Amazon Smile
You can donate to the FAAMA Foundation when you shop at Amazon.
Great news if you have an Android Phone!
AmazonSmile is now available in the Amazon Shopping App for all Android users. If you are an AmazonSmile customer, you can now support the FAAMA Foundation every time you shop! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start donating!
- If you have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping App, open the App on your android device.
- View settings and select AmazonSmile.
- Follow the in app instructions to complete the process
AmazonSmile is currently unavailable for iOS users but we will notify you as soon as it becomes available!